We've been there just about every evening visiting Grandpa to sit with him, give others a break, or just reminisce. Most of the time he has been awake and alert or at least alert enough to know we're there. Recently- he has been in more pain and the meds they are giving him has been decreasing his awake time and he's spending more time sleeping. We'd rather have this though than him be awake and in constant pain.
The time we've been able to spend with him has been truly worth wait and amazing. We've been introduced to songs that I never knew he liked..such as "Five Foot 2, Eyes Of Blue" and there is another one that I don't know the name of but can hum in my head from hearing him sing it so many times. Yep- that's right...he was singing for us! He's actually a VERY good singer and I'm sorry we hadn't heard it before the past few weeks. Could have been the beer in his system that he was asking for that helped those lyrics sail on out of his mouth or it could have just been his way of helping ease things for us. Whatever it was Thank you Grandpa for sharing those songs with us and for having such a good time at our "parties!" He requested several parties and we were happy to oblige for him!
My Grandma was just admitted into ICU this past weekend with chest/jaw pain. There is no sign of a heart attack and we're not sure what is going on...could it be stress, anxiety, a broken heart. Very much so. I hate to think of it but really..they've been together for almost 67 years and have relied and depended on each other for so much! AS much as they bicker (which is one of the reason I love to visit so much!) there is so much love behind it all- it's truly amazing! They'll never know how much I/we look up to them for that and how much that means to us. Seeing someone married for that long doesn't happen much if at all anymore.
Recently- I was thinking about how much more shopping I have to do for xmas and how I haven't had time to wrap a single present!! Then..I started thinking- this xmas, priorities have shifted. Would I rather spend all the time in the world shopping for that PERFECT gift or spend the quality time with my grandparents that I've been able to do. Parker has been able to see them so much and has even kissed both grandparents good bye several times. He doesn't give his kisses away too often :) I know I'll treasure that forever! What really matters most is spending that quality time with your family and I will never be able to get this time back with my Grandparents- I'm gad I was able to "party" with them (even though I couldn't drink the beer or wine :) listen to my Grandpa sing his favorite songs, find more songs for him on the Internet (John Denver's "Take me Home Country Roads") and just hold his hand. Not often did I find myself doing that or taking that time before- sad...I know! I wish I had more of it to do that now. In the end...if someone doesn't get their perfect xmas gift there is always next year because this year I spent wonderful time with my family and enjoyed every minute!
At our wedding...don't they look great!
This is one of my favorite pictures of my Grandparents- love my grandpa's hat!
I think this was after winning the LONGEST Married couple dance at my cousins wedding. I overheard my Grandma recently saying that in Sept 2011 it will be 67 years of marriage for my grandparents!

No comments:
Post a Comment