Today was Race for the Cure! I used to always run this race in Cleveland with a big group of friends and for whatever reason havent' been able to run in Toledo. Usually we have something going on but this weekend we were free so I signed us all up! I'm so glad I did- we had a great morning! There were almost 17,000 people registered and it was packed. There have been so many people in our lives that we know who were affected by breast cancer and too many who lives were taken because of it. Most recently a sorority sister of mine from Sigma Kappa. This hit pretty close to home as she has 2 little boys whom I believe are just a little older than mine. I can't even imagine not being able to watch my kids grow up, do their homework with them, send them off on their first homecoming dance, watch them play sports, etc. Makes me squeeze them a little harder when I give them a hug and give them extra kisses each day! I hope one day they're able to find a cure for this horrible disease.
Dennis and Mom pushed the kids in the stroller for the family fun 1 mile walk and I decided I wanted to run the 5K. I haven't run a race in a long time and with my meniscus being torn I probably shouldn't have but I really wanted to do this. I've been running alot more lately and am definitely hitting 3 miles on the TM. I ran 3.1 miles in 30 minutes flat which turns out to be a 10 minute mile. Pretty darn good for me! I was very happy about it.
Pre-race activities inside Mudhens Stadium. We were on the hunt for Spike- the Walleyes mascot. That's the only person Parker wanted to see today!
Still looking half asleep
They were so good the entire morning! That's saying alot for my little tasmanian devils :)
During the race...
I couldn't find Dennis, Mom and the kids immediately afterwards but I ran into SPIKE! I took a picture with him just in case I couldn't find the boys and had him sign my t-shirt for Parker.
But shortly after...we all found each other and were able to take a family picture with Spike. Parker was SO excited to see him!!
We couldn't forget about Madonna. Carter was a little scared...which is funny cause he LOVED Spike!
The UT mascots- too bad it's a little dark :(
On our way back to the car we passed a fire station and all the firemen were outside hanging out. I stopped by and asked if we could take a look around. They were so welcoming and even pulled out the big fire truck for us! They let us climb inside and walk all around the fire station! How cool!
Oops- whose finger could that be in our picture??!! Thanks for being a trooper and taking the pictures for us Mom!
Overall we had a really great day and helped support a really great cause. We'll do it again next year for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment